Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Guess what?

Here in Ukarumpa, we have an excellent store by PNG standards, but there are some things that we cannot normally buy there. For example, I've only seen grapes for sale once, and our option for milk is the "long life" kind that comes in a box and is stored on a non-refrigerated shelf. (At first, I couldn't bring myself to drink this boxed milk, but now I like it!)

Since I moved to Ukarumpa, I've learned to make some foods that I would have just bought at the store in the US. On my blog before, you've seen some of my culinary experiments, like bagels and processing a coconut from just-off-the-tree to in-my-cookie.

This picture shows the middle stages of another of my recently acquired baking skills. Can you guess what it will become? I'll reveal the answer in a day or two.

7 comments:

Nancy said...

Hmmm... whatever they are, I'm sure they'll be good! (As one who tasted some of your homemade bagels). I'm going to guess hamburger rolls?

Unknown said...

I think they will become mini loafs of garlic bread. Maybe you can make some for us soon!

Karen_H said...

HI, Sara,
I am guessing hot cross buns since it is the Easter season and they look like they have currents or berries in them. Rich wistfully guesses giant chocolate chip cookies!
Hope you had a joyful Easter even in the midst of the mud. Our phoebes are back. We are waiting to see if they will again nest on the porch to raise their babies and eat the flying insects that are back in full force.
Thanks for sharing,
Karen H
Ecclesiastes 11:1

Mary said...

Pizza dough! :)

Anonymous said...

I think Tortillas
B. Snyder

Laura Nichols said...

Agh, I've been agonizing over it all night! I can't decide what the dark flecks are - spices, seeds, spinach? So I'm just going to go with dinner rolls... :)

Anonymous said...

Friends of ours who were missionaries in Belize taught me how to make tortillas. That is why I could guess so easily. They are better home made that is for sure. Barb Snyder