Wednesday, April 28, 2010

First Day at TTC

My first day at TTC went really well! Thanks for your prayers. (You can keep praying - the course runs from now until the first week in June, although my part will be done by May 10.)

Today my students learned about Roman numerals and alphabetical order - both skills they will need to use their dictionaries and study Bibles.

[Thanks to Phil King for the picture.]

4 comments:

Laura Nichols said...

Ooo, sounds like a hard topic to teach! Did you get to do any fun activities? :)

Emerson said...

It's 6:10 in the morning here in NEPA and I'm thinking, "Wow, I learned this stuff in grade school." What you are doing Sara is very valuable if people are going to be able to read, study and understand the Word of God.

Our people at SNMBC are praying for you. God bless and a wonderful and fruitful 2nd day teaching.

Karen_H said...

Hi, Sara,
It must be challenging to teach those topics to people without a firm grasp of English and it sounds like a long day. You and Laura have a busy schedule and "student" teaching in common:) Praying the rest of the course goes well. Today we have some sunshine after yesterday's cold north wind, but when I got up earlier to put wood on the fire, it was 27 degrees here in our cold valley! Yesterday I trimmed some limbs and branches that I hit my head on when I am mowing. Things are really growing when we have the warm days(especially the lawn and dandelions!). We have apple blossoms and the lilacs are getting ready to bloom soon too. Bet you will not miss the mud, but maybe the water. Hope a new system is not far off. From reading the national paper, sounds like the roads are still an adventure to drive. Your mom told us the Mattocks are coming in May and also Grace Labian is speaking at the M/D banquet. To think not too long ago, PNG seemed a very far away unknown place and now we just keep meeting more and more people who serve and have served there! God has made it a small world in that respect:)
Have a great day.
Karen H
John 10 "The Good Shepherd"

Emerson said...

Hi again,

Just read Karen's post and she told you about Grace Fabian, who will speak at our M/D Banquet. In fact that day she will receive an Honorary Doctorate from Davis College. She will be, Dr. Grace Fabian when she speaks to our ladies.

Grace and I were in the same class back in the late 50's when Davis was Practical Bible Training School.

Grace and her husband were with Wycliffe. She spent 35 years in PNG. She and her husband were translating the Nabak Bible. He was at his desk working when a man came in and killed him with a blow to the back of the head with an axe.

After her husbands death she continued on until she finished the translation. During that time she raised four children. She retired recently and wrote the book, "Outrageous Grace." An account of all that took place in those days.

I am sure you may have heard of her through folks at Wycliffe. Thought you might be interested in her background.

By the way, you may be wondering who Emerson is. Rosina and I are Penny Camacho's, Mother and Dad. Your Mom and Dad probably have shared that we have moved back to PA. I'm on staff at the church and Chairman of the Missions Committee.