Thursday, March 12, 2009

Coconut: Tree to table

It all starts with the coconut tree.



After it's ready, the coconut is sold at a market like this one...



The thick husk was already removed when I got this coconut, so all I had to do was tap around it with a hammer and then crack it open. (The white bowl in the background is filled with the liquid that was in the coconut.)



Sitting on this contraption, I used the metal scraper attached to one end to get the coconut meal out of the shell.




The one coconut made about 3 cups of shredded coconut. At this point, the coconut could be "milked" to make coconut cream. (To make coconut cream, the coconut is mixed with water and then squeezed out a number of times. The water becomes coconut cream, which is great for cooking rice, vegetables, or chicken in!)



But I decided to toast it in the oven...




And then make delicious Anzac biscuit cookies!

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Thank you for posting the photos, Sara, to show us the process you used to get your coconut ready. All we have to do is buy a bag at the grocery store... but I bet yours tastes better. Your cookies look delicious!

Karen_H said...

Thanks for the look at how your food goes from tree to table! Those biscuit cookies look delicious. I also learned some history from Google that Anzac stands for Australia New Zealand Army Corps and that they were used like hard tack for the troops because they kept so well. They were based on a Scottish recipe for oatmeal cakes and each year, they celebrate ANZAC day on April 25, like our memorial or veterans day and sell the biscuits to raise funds for veterans. That toasted coconut also looked quite yummy! So once again you have helped me learn a lot of new things today!
Thanks and God bless,
Karen H

Unknown said...

Well done with the Anzac cookies! I had those a ton of times in New Zealand, and they are very much delicious. I hope you're doing well, and I'm praying for you!

Audrey said...

Hi,Sara - I am not a fan of coconut, but the cookies that Karen made for the Ladies Missy. meeting last night were truly delicious. Guess I need to get the recipe. Isn't it great to be able to communicate like this across the world? And you just prompted me to set up a Google Account, and now I can access Karen's blog. Movin up in cyberspace!