Friday, August 14, 2009

Packing up!


Since the middle of March, I’ve been collecting “stuff” for my trip. Things I will need, things Sara has asked me to bring, and things for gifts for people in Papua New Guinea. Until yesterday, all these things have been accumulating in one green suitcase, on a shelf, and on the floor in my sewing room. Another blue suitcase was purchased and was sitting there empty. Yesterday I decided it was time to start organizing, packing, and weighing!
The airlines allow two checked bags up to 50 pounds each, one carry-on up to 15 pounds, and one personal item such as a purse or briefcase. (by “allow” they mean I will pay for these, and then anything over this amount, I will be charged a whole bunch more for!) Since my usual purse is quite small, I decided to buy a bigger one for the trip. To me it seems huge… but it’s wonderful because even with all the stuff I’ve put in it already, it still appears half empty. My strategy for packing was similar to when I used to pack our backpacks for
hiking trips. You need to know what you have put where when you get done, you need to know you “have everything” and it can’t weigh too much! Armed with lots of zip-lock bags of various sizes, some tape and bubble wrap, and a clipboard, I got started. As I packed, I jotted down each item on my clipboard under the heading of blue or green suitcase, carry-on, or purse. Then, the weigh-in! With most of my things packed, my blue suitcase weighed in at 31 pounds, the green one at 33.5, my carry-on at 13.5 and hey, might as well see how much my purse weighed just for fun… 3.5 pounds! I still have a few more last minute things to purchase and pack, but I’m happy to have the bulk of my packing done and know that my luggage is not too heavy. I know it’s “just stuff" but I do pray it will arrive safely in PNG!

2 comments:

Laura Nichols said...

I like your new big purse. :)

(But not so much the whistle!)

;)
Laura

Karen_H said...

Hi, Nem bilong mi Nancy,
You make a great "guest" writer on Sara's blog. You demonstrated again that you definitely know how to do things, like packing, "decently and in order." Praying for your great adventure as well as Sara and her great Mom!
Karen H
Psalm 121:8