But I'm also trying to remember that it's not just home that's changed - I've changed too.
Another silly example is when I was deciding when to arrive at my new apartment for my course this fall. I was going to get there on a weekend, but I decided against it - I would need to get there in time to go to the grocery store before it closes, Friday afternoon at 4.
Why in the world would a person think that? Well, the only grocery store I've gone to for the past two years is only open Monday through Friday, 8:30 to 4. My normal thought process about grocery shopping has changed from it being an any-time activity to one that you can only do on weekdays during limited hours.
The number of choices we have in America can be overwhelming to people coming home from overseas. Here, there is usually one or two choices for each kind of product...
If you want skim milk, there is just one size (a box) and usually one or sometimes two brands. If you want toothpaste, there might be a few different kinds to choose from, but nothing like the towering toothpaste aisles of America. If you want a pastry, you have one choice... a cream bun.
They're ok, not great, but at least the choice is easy :-)



3 comments:
Hi Sara,
We have brown eggs in our refrigerator now (courtesy of Angie) so that is one thing that will be an easy transition. ;-) I know even though I was in PNG for only a month, some things back home seemed strange to me when I got back, so I'm sure it will be even more so for you. We are all getting excited for you to come home.
love,
Mom
Sara,
I hope that God grants you safe travel home. Maybe when you're back we can catch up (I live in Philly now).
Jeremy E
Sara,
Can you bring me a cream bun? I guess it would be stale before it made it home and probably squished. The picture and thoughts of cream buns and the store (but not white eggs) are a great reminder of our visit to PNG. WE are looking forward to helping you as you transition back to life here in the US. People here would appreciate the US more if they could live in PNG for a while. Love, Dad
Post a Comment