I've already talked about some superficial things that have become my "new normal." I want to tell you about two other ways my life has changed that are a little more personal.
1. Security - Here we take security very seriously and with good reason - break-ins are all too common. There is a fence all the way around Ukarumpa and we have a security company who patrols day and night. My thinking on security has changed, because it had to change for me to be safe.
I'm more aware of my surroundings and take precautions to make me less likely as a victim. Every night before I go to bed, I turn on my outside lights, lock and deadbolt the front door, use a piece of wood to brace it shut, and lock my bedroom door and brace that with wood. (The wood braces against the bottom of the doors are to make it harder for someone to use a pry bar to open them.)
I keep pepper spray, a screwdriver, a long, sharp piece of wood (all for self defense) and a phone within arm's reach of my bed. I've gotten used to hiding my computer when I'm not home and it not being a good idea for me to be outside at night.
2. Freedom - Freedom is tied closely to security. It's for security's sake that I can't go outside the Ukarumpa fence by myself, and it's for safety's sake that I can't be outside by myself at night. While I understand why these limitation exist, they can still be hard to deal with and make me feel a bit trapped.
When I vacationed in Australia last year, it was like a breath of fresh air to feel safe and be free to go places, even at night. I adjusted to having more freedom pretty quickly, but it took me a few days to feel safe at night behind a door that wasn't dead bolted or braced and with windows that didn't have bars or security mesh over them.
I know my transition home will be hard because of all the transitions and adjustments I will have to make. Pray for me as I deal with many changes - both superficial and emotional. Thanks.
Friday, August 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Hi, Sara,
It is interesting to hear about all the adjustments you need to make there and then reverse on coming home. I am sure you are up to the challenge and we are praying for you as well as for those remaining in Ukarumpa. Changes are a part of life no matter who you are or where you live. God wants to stretch and grow us and He uses many ways. It is amazing and a blessing to watch the little ones in nursery grow and progress. Thankful for the many ways He has used and continues to use you BY FAITH:)
God bless,
Karen_H
From Pastor's sermon from Romans 9:
"When God's promises don't work the way WE THINK they should, they are still working for His glory and our good."
Teens who served in Jamaica and Scranton Rescue Mission reported Sunday night and it is apparent that God stretched and grew them as well. God is GOOD!!!!
Post a Comment