Thursday, July 16, 2009

Setaman Survey

In about 12 hours, I'll be leaving for my third language survey trip. Bonnie, Juliann, Thomas and I will be surveying the Setaman language, in the western part of PNG, on the border of Western and Sandaun Provinces, as you can see in the map below. We want to find out if the villages we are going to are really a separate language (Setaman) or part of a neighboring language (Bimin or Faiwol). Bimin and Faiwol both have New Testaments, so we want to find out if the Setaman people can use either of these. We also want to find out about what churches and schools are in the area and how strong the language is.


The Setaman area is quite mountainous and isolated. We are taking gifts for people who host us and help carry our backpacks - bags of salt and matches. People in the Setaman area have a hard time getting these things.

People in the Setaman area don't know we're coming, so we'll be unexpected (but hopefully welcome) guests. Papua New Guinean culture is very hospitable, so things that would never work in the US - like showing up in a village/town uninvited and expecting people to drop everything to answer your questions, and give you a place to eat and sleep - work in PNG.

I've been sick the last few days and only decided a few hours ago that I was going to go on the survey. Please pray that I'll have the strength to hike on the muddy, mountainous trails AND to do my work in the evenings (writing phonetic wordlists and doing group interviews). Also pray that we'll show Christ's love to the people we meet. Thanks!

3 comments:

Karen_H said...

Hi, Sara,
Sounds like it will be an exciting survey trip! Before health conditions intervened, Rich flew a 172 Cessna a 2 0r 4 seater. After watching the video from Folopa of the landing and the view from the air, I kind of envy you. Is one of the survey group also the pilot or does the mission provide a separate pilot? I was reading a little about the area you are going to. Praying for strength and endurance as you hike those mountain areas and speak with the people. May God richly bless you all through this.
Love and prayers,
Karen H
2 Chronicles 16:9

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sara;

We are praying for you and look forward to your report when you return.
I was encouraged a few days ago as I read Isaiah 41:10.

Pastor and Mrs Thomas

Anonymous said...

Good Morning, Sara;
I would guess you are right in the middle of your survey work and very excited.
We had a great week last week - 6 teens saved at VBS Friday night and 1 Sunday Morning.
I'm doing better after the radiation. I feel stronger as the days go by. I continue to pray that all of the cancer is gone.
You remain in our prayers.
Pastor & Mrs Thomas (Psalm 29:10)