Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Computer Update

I'm lucky my hard drive failed when it did.

If this problem had happened two weeks later, I'd already be in Papua New Guinea where little or no technical support for my computer would be available.


When I rushed to write my last post before leaving for Syracuse, I forgot to mention something that some of you might not know... my computer will be very important to my work in Papua New Guinea. I'll be using it to store and use recordings of languages, as well as various analysis programs.

I had an afternoon of ups and downs. Here's the breakdown:

  • The bad news is that when I arrived at the Apple Store they had no record of me making an appointment for tech support. The good news is that they put me on standby and a very competent technician checked out my computer for me.
  • The bad news is that my hard drive has failed and my computer is basically blank now. The good news is that a new hard drive and its installation is fully covered by my warranty, and I should be able to pick my computer up at the end of this week or the beginning of next.
  • The bad news is that my presentation outline and pictures to show at youth group tomorrow night were on my now-dead hard drive. The good news is that I backed my computer up yesterday (just like I do every Monday) so I can retrieve the files on my parents' computer, and I had a chance to talk through my presentation on the way home.

Everything went so well this afternoon, and while this problem seems to have come at a bad time (while I am so busy with my preparations to leave), at least I'll have my computer back before I leave!

No comments: