Friday, July 18, 2008

VBS Highlights

Vacation Bible School this week was a blast!  We had a good turnout with about 100 kids attending each evening.  They learned a lot and had a good time too!

I had the opportunity of teaching the kids about missions and Bible translation.  Each night I had about 15 minutes with each group of kids, and I was encouraged that they were so interested in what I had to share!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Monday night I taught them the basics about the Bible and languages.  They were shocked to learn that there are almost 7000 languages in the world, and that about 2200 of them don't have a written language or the Bible!  

On Tuesday we talked about what my job will be in Papua New Guinea - language survey.  An object lesson helped them understand how important language survey is to the task of Bible translation.

We talked about Papua New Guinea on Wednesday night, and I showed pictures to help the kids see what life there is like.  


On Thursday night I taught the kids how Bible translation is done.  They learned these five steps: learn the language, make an alphabet, translate the Bible, teach people to read, teach people to use their Bibles.  

Tonight, Friday night, I challenged the kids to think about what part they could have in Bible translation.  They learned three things that they can do to help everyone have the Bible in their heart language: pray, give, and go.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

What a blessed week... thank the Lord for safety and for all that the kids were able to learn!  

Would you pray that God will continue to work in these kids' lives?  Pray that He would call some into full-time missions work, and protect and direct all of them as they grow up.

1 comment:

twinstigator said...

Good work, Sara! Sounds like you did an excellent job with the kids. It's so cool when God uses us to plant the seed early about missions and Bible translation...especially when we hear how many of our colleagues were called to missions in just that way. Keep up the good work.