Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Thoughts from one month away...

I'm leaving for Papua New Guinea one month from today, and my preparations are in full swing...

I've had the sewing machine out, making a few skirts suitable for hiking and other daily life activities in PNG.  (It is culturally inappropriate for women to wear pants there.)  I've made my packing list and started gathering things from far corners of the house into my room from where they will eventually be packed.  I've also ordered a number of hard-to-find items online - finding the perfect item and having it shipped to my door for free has taken away so much of the shopping stress I usually have before a big trip! 

One thing I ordered was a special box to use as checked luggage when I fly.  This particular container, a Rubbermaid Action Packer, was recommended as it is sturdy, very roomy, and should be useful for food storage during my orientation program and beyond.  

The box is sturdy enough to sit on,
but light enough to be a good packing box!

When the UPS man dropped it off yesterday, I found the dimensions listed on the box were larger than those on the website where I bought it.  This wouldn't be a problem except the new larger dimensions slightly exceed the baggage size allowance on my flights.  Would you pray for me while I sort out this silly matter?  I'd really like to be able to use the box, but I don't want to be stuck paying an $100 oversize fees!  

Today was a special day for my family... one of my grandmother's (few) first cousins and his wife came to visit from Mount Pocono.  It was the first time he and my grandma had seen each other for 50 years!  We had a wonderful day visiting, comparing notes on genealogy (one of my favorite hobbies), looking at old family photos, and sharing stories.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sara,
You are looking like a little child, very excited before a big trip.
You are a child of God and you have a great trip ahead of you!
Your Martin, Silke and Finn