Friday, July 25, 2008

Papua New Guinea Language Stats


I just learned something new and I thought I'd share it with ya'll...

Papua New Guinea has the most different languages of any country in the world!

I already knew that Papua New Guinea has about 820 languages, but I didn't realize that was the most of any country in the world.  I assumed India or Indonesia would be higher on the list, and while both make the top five, neither beats Papua New Guinea.

According to this site (which takes its numbers from the CIA World Fact Book and Ethnologue), Papua New Guinea's 820 languages make up 11.86% of the world's total languages!  What an astounding percentage for only 0.08% of the world's population!

Around 300 languages in Papua New Guinea need Bible translation.  (Ninety-five percent of the world's countries don't even have 300 languages!)  Translating Scripture for these remaining languages is a monumental task that can only be accomplished by God's grace and with His help.

Would you pray for Bible translation work in Papua New Guinea, especially that God would raise up more workers to go and inspire new ways of working more quickly and efficiently?  

No comments: