During take-off: the Port Moresby International Airport. The international terminal is on the left and the domestic on the right.
After taking off from Moresby, you get a nice view of PNG's parliment building. It's styled after a kind of traditional spirit house (haus tamburan) from the Sepik area. Our linguistics library in Ukarumpa is also modeled after a haus tamburan with the sloping, pointed roof although not on the same grand scale. :-)
Continuing away from the airport, you get a view back toward downtown Port Moresby. It's in the distance, on the side of the little peninsula, sticking out into the ocean.
The land we passed over flying north following the coast is a flat plain, filled with rivers and other soggy spots.
I love to look at rivers when I'm flying and I thought this spot (a close up from the previous picture) was particularly interesting. The two (differently colored) rivers almost meet, but not quite!
As we continued to fly northwest, the land changed from floodplains to rolling hills and then steep mountains and back to hills. This is a Highlands village we flew over, fairly close to Ukarumpa. A lot of the sleeping houses are round or at least have rounded corners, while most near the coast are rectangular.
Continuing away from the airport, you get a view back toward downtown Port Moresby. It's in the distance, on the side of the little peninsula, sticking out into the ocean.
The land we passed over flying north following the coast is a flat plain, filled with rivers and other soggy spots.
I love to look at rivers when I'm flying and I thought this spot (a close up from the previous picture) was particularly interesting. The two (differently colored) rivers almost meet, but not quite!
As we continued to fly northwest, the land changed from floodplains to rolling hills and then steep mountains and back to hills. This is a Highlands village we flew over, fairly close to Ukarumpa. A lot of the sleeping houses are round or at least have rounded corners, while most near the coast are rectangular.







5 comments:
Beautiful pictures Sara! I love flying too and always ask for the window seat... but you're right, views like that will never be had from a jet.
Those rivers are neat, and I have been studying them in school so I thought I would let you know how they formed! The darker water is actually a lake called an oxbow lake. It used to be a part of the main river which is muddy. But one day probably not too long ago, in a big flood, the river carved a quicker path than the real squiggly path that is now the lake. You can see there is a bow just above the lake that will probably have the same future as the lake just below it. These features are very common in coastal plains and other areas of low elevation change because rivers always prefer to find the quickest path downhill and these soils in coastal areas are easily erodible.
At any rate, I hope you enjoyed your vacation and that it was refreshing to you. I always enjoy reading your blog updates. You are doing wonderful work there!
Beautiful pictures, Sara. Thanks for sharing them. I hope your time away was relaxing and refreshing. It's always good, Jesus said, to come apart and rest awhile.
We keep you in our prayers. May our God contiue to bless you.
Pastor and Mrs Thomas
Hi, Sara,
Beautiful pictures! Did you get a new camera on vacation? I liked your friend's explanation of the river formations--is he a geologist?
Want to wish you a wonderful Easter season and continued triumph in our Savior and His resurrection. The song "Our God Reigns" is one of my favorites.
Have a great day,
Karen H
Hi Karen,
I did get a new camera on vacation - purchased it on Amazon, had it sent to mom and dad's house, then they mailed it on to the place I was staying in Cairns. Before I left Ukarumpa, I sold my old one to someone who had theirs stolen.
Thanks for your comments :-)
Happy Easter!
Sara
Hi Sara,
It won't be to long until we are having these views in person. Thanks for posting them. It gives us a preview of what to watch for.
Love, Dad
Post a Comment