Sara has been working every weekday in the Language Survey office since I've been here, but we've also done some things for fun. What do we do here in Ukarumpa for fun?
Friday nights are "Burger Night" at the Teen Center. Most of the missionaries living here come to Burger Night to have dinner out (there is no other place to go to eat out!) Since I arrived on a Friday, I got to go to Burger Night my very first night here. I enjoyed meeting a lot of people and a pretty good meal, which included a chocolate milkshake!
One of the things Sara enjoys a lot is the Ultimate Frisbee game she plays in on Sunday afternoons. They usually play on the high school football field, although today a PNG Rugby game was being played on that field, so they had to move to an alternate spot. It was fun for me to watch the games the past two Sunday afternoons - no, Sara couldn't convince me to play!
Sara and her housemate, Jen, like to entertain at their house. Last Wednesday night they had a pizza party (homemade pizza of course!) and about a dozen people came. Sometimes when they get together they play games or watch a movie on someone's laptop, but this time we just talked.
One of the other things Sara and I enjoy is bird watching. We've been keeping an eye out for birds whenever we walk somewhere (and we have to walk pretty much everywhere we go). Saturday afternoon, we took a walk just to look for birds on the road just inside the fence which surrounds the missionary center. Since I've been here, we've seen 14 different kinds of birds, including the beautiful Rainbow Bee-eater in the following photo.
Another fun thing was talking on the radio to one of Sara's friends, Joy, who is working out in a village now. You have to sign up ahead of time for a time slot on the radio. Then you have 15 minutes to talk. With so many people out in remote locations this is the best way to stay in touch and ask for prayer requests.
Sara and I will be flying to Madang tomorrow morning and plan to spend 10 days there. We hope to visit her wasfamili (the family she lived with during her village living part of her orientation course) and also do some swimming and snorkeling at the beach. Please pray for safety and good health for us while we travel and spend time there.
Sunday, September 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I was sick-at-heart this morning to check in my Bible for the copies of your blog I had run off, and find they were home on my desk!! Will try again next Sunday - how I hate my lousy memory! But keep trying to improve. Maybe if I live to 160 I might make it!! ;-) Sounds like you are having a grand time together. The trip to Madang will surely be a blessing. Am praying - as are many others - Pastor's message this morning from 1Thess.5:12-28 "The Work Christians are to Do." "Christians are Doers." Good challenge to be about the Father's business Stay well - lots of love Audrey Costley
Hi, Nancy and Sara,
Sounds like you are really taking to missionary life! We started the new SS quarter today on the book of Isaiah. Are you enjoying the services in Ukarumpa?
You will have a lot to list on birdstack by the looks! The hay on the church grounds has been mowed and the picture of a sunflower on today's bulletin was taken of one planted at the church.
Mrs. Thomas had a great visit with a hummingbird feeding on her hanging impatiens plant this AM she told about in Sunday School. The Morse's came to church with trailer in tow, so assume they are nearing VA anytime now.
Praying you have a wonderful trip to Madang and great experiences with those you meet.
God bless,
Karen H
PT quote "Christians are doers!"
You both fit the bill!
Post a Comment