How to boil down the events of the past week into one blog post? It seems almost impossible but I'll try.
My trip from Pennsylvania to PNG went amazingly well. All six of my flights were on time and both of my checked bags arrived with me! I was not even feeling tired when I arrived at Ukarumpa, thanks to a great night of sleep at the Mapang Missionary Guesthouse in Port Morseby. There were 12 people flying to Ukarumpa on the same day I was, so we flew in a King Air, which only took an hour of flight time instead of the usual two hours it would have taken in a smaller plane. Sara was waiting for me as I got off the plane. It was so good to have the hug that I'd been looking forward to for months!
Sara has a long list of "things to do while mom is here" and we've already done a number of them. My first night here was "Burger Night" at the Teen Ceter. Since then I've gotten to see a lot of Ukarumpa, attended church, visited Sara's office and toured the LCORE Building (LCORE stands for Language Collaboration Opportunities Resources Encouragement), helped Sara work at the library, watched her Ultimate Frisbee game, shopped at the center store, and had a PNG ice cream cone. I've really enjoyed meeting a lot of interesting people including both missionaries and Papua New Guineans. I'm also enjoying the many beautiful flowers, trees, and birds here. Today we went to the nearby town of Kainantu and I enjoyed seeing some of the "real" PNG on the ride there and at the shops and market. It's been a very interesting time so far and it's only been a few days since I arrived. In many ways, it's kind of like what I expected and yet you can't really know what it's like until you are actually here! I'm so thankful to have the chance to find out!
I'd like to thank you all for your prayers for my travel here! God answered them in a wonderful way.
Tuesday, September 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Hi, Nancy (and Sara),
Please don't forget to post a mother-daughter picture. We can just imagine the breadth of those smiles:)
Have you had much rain? We are having some cooler dryer days this week for a change. Mary took lots of pictures of the baptisms at Wolf Lake. She posted them on Facebook. She even did some audio recording with her little MP3 player. Isn't technology great?
Praying for you both for continued blessings this month,
Karen H
Psalm 103
I'm glad to hear everything's going well! :)
Love,
Laura
I concur with Karen, we need a mother-daughter photo!!!!
A day late checking the blog - but praying daily! I've been so conscious, Nancy, that this month is going to be a life-changing event for you. God knows what great blessings He has in store there in PNG and after you get back home. Have a great time - and do keep us "posted" with pictures and impressions! Gorgeous days this week- almost cloudless, lo 70s - perfect "FALL" days! We won't think about winter, which is not far behind!!! Audrey Costley Ps.139
Glad your flights went well and that all of your luggage arrived with you! Praying that you will continue to have a wonderful trip. Hope you found some nice things at the shops and market to bring home with you. Do you have any pictures of the market, flowers, trees & birds? A mother/daughter pic would be nice, too!!! Todd, Jennifer, Levi & Sara
Post a Comment