Sunday, September 27, 2009

Church in the Village - by Nancy

I’m back home in Pennsylvania, after another amazing trip. All of my commercial flights were on time again! I think I may have set some kind of a record. No delays on the way to PNG or on the way home! Thank you to all my prayer warriors and to the Lord for His blessings. (My SIL flight was slightly delayed because of fog, but that was a good thing because Sara and I were invited to go on a tour of the hanger and got to spend a little more time together.) And I didn’t have to worry about missing a connection because I was spending the night in Port Morseby before my Air Niugini flight.

Being back in my home c
hurch this morning felt good. So many people welcomed me back with greetings, handshakes, and hugs. Thank you all! It made me think about our wasfamili’s church in the village at Mus so I thought I would share some of those photos with you.

Here we are heading to church, which is located near the school.
The children have Sunday School outside under a huge Mango tree.


Sara’s Uncle Paul from her wasfamili is the leader of all the area churches and was our preacher this week in our local village church.
It was only about a 10 minute walk from home.

This is the inside of the church, taken from near the back doorway. The women sit on the left and the men on the righ
t. For the service, the front of the sanctuary was decorated with flowers, as you can see in the previous photo. The church was very full on Sunday morning.
Here are Ireme and me after church. She was my helper and companion most of the time while we were at the village. She sat next to me in church and her eyes got really big when I
sang along (by reading the Tok Pisin in the hymnal) to “My Jesus I Love Thee”. She knows my Tok Pisin is not really that good! I am wearing the meri blouse I bought in Madang and she is wearing her Sunday dress.


This is the new church the congregation is building. It is almost finished. I’m kind of glad I got to attend church in the older building.

Here is the inside of the new church.

1 comment:

Karen_H said...

Hi, Nancy,
Thanks for sharing the contrast not only between old and new PNG churches, but between theirs and ours. Gives a whole new appreciation of what is really important in a building(the people)!
It is great to have you back and we are thankful to hear firsthand about life in Ukarumpa and Sara.
God bless,
Karen H