Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning, people from all over the Aiyura Valley gather at the market in Ukarumpa to sell fresh fruits and vegetables, flowers, and crafts (and occasionally exotic birds and animals!).

This past Monday was the first time since my return from Australia that I ventured to the market. Getting up before 6:30, I bundled up against the cold (in the mid-50s?) and ventured outside, with my bilum (string bag) for collecting my veggies over my shoulder and my money pouch tucked inside my sling (one of the few convenient things I’ve found about wearing a sling!).
I enjoyed the 10-minute walk to the market, seeing the fog and early morning sun over the valley and listening to the birds sing.
Arriving at the market, I walked past the flower vendors, with their beautiful bouquets for 1 kina ($.36), and entered the main market area. I made one circuit around the market tables, to see what was for sale that day and search out the best-looking veggies.

The climate here in the Highlands is great for growing produce and the turnout at market that morning was evidence: potatoes, beans, broccoli, corn, avocados, peppers, tomatoes, and peppers, bananas, pineapples, strawberries, and much more.
Approaching a table with lovely leafy heads of lettuce, I laid a 50 toea ($.18) coin into the hand of the woman tending the table and she put the lettuce in my bilum for me. (It’s hard to do with one hand!) I repeated this routine to buy 1 kina ($.36) worth of carrots (about 5 small ones) and a 40 toea ($.14) cucumber, and… voila, salad for half a week’s lunches for $.68!

After grocery shopping and cooking for Krista and I in Australia, where I could only afford frozen peas, I am even more grateful for the great prices and delicious, fresh produce available to me here in Ukarumpa. (The dirt cheap veggies help to offset the high cost of other foods.)
Later, enjoying my homemade soup with market potatoes, celery, and carrots, I was thankful for the food and for the opportunity to go back to market again.
All photos by Kahunapule Michael Johnson
3 comments:
Hi, Sara,
Hope this finds your arm improving as you get ready for starting rehab. Praying your range of motion returns fully and you will remain encouraged. You have been much in mind and prayer over the weekend. Glad to hear you made it to the market. Is your new place closer or further? Are you getting settled in? We are in cooler temps(50's) today, too. Our hummingbirds provide much entertainment as we have suction cup feeders on three windows and still they all seem ready to fight rather than share! Our dog's area has been enlarged to include 10 blue plastic barrel halves in which we will attempt to grow vegetables this year (and keep out the wildlife!) Hope our produce looks as yummy as the PNG when it grows.
God bless your day, Sara.
Love in Christ,
Karen H
Psalm 55:22
Sara,
I read your post this morning and then went out to work on our flowerbeds. All day, while I've been planting, I've been thinking about going to the market with you in about 3 months or a little less! Do you ever buy a bouquet of flowers? For .36 cents I think I would buy one every time! But of course you know I love flowers. It looks like you have some nice flowers in your new yard, too. Thank you for the very interesting post and the photos (thank you to Kahunapule). Guess I'll go see if the rain shower has slowed down and get back to work. with love and prayers,
Mom
Guess I need to get in on this little "chat" also! Your comment about enjoying the walk to the market,with the fog and the sun in the valley painted such a beautiful picture. Looks like you live in a gorgeous portion of God's world. We had a good Ladies' Missionary Meeting last night, and remembered you and your recovery before the Throne. It's 46 deg. right now and raining quite steadily. Yesterday was cold, and it looks like that's the pattern for these next few days. We need the rain, but warm is nice! Know that lots of people think of you lots and pray for you often! In Christ - Audrey Costley
Psalm 139
Post a Comment