Here are a few pictures from our survey of the Benabena language area...
We traveled around the area in this four-wheel drive truck. At the small market across the road, Juliann is writing a phonetic word list, while Bonnie and I are talking to people. I was asking this man about what languages people in his village (Kintunu) speak. While I was sitting there, people gave me two bananas, a mango, and lots of roasted peanuts to eat! People we met often gave us pineapples, oranges, bananas, cucumbers, and other good, fresh food.
We traveled around the area in this four-wheel drive truck. At the small market across the road, Juliann is writing a phonetic word list, while Bonnie and I are talking to people. I was asking this man about what languages people in his village (Kintunu) speak. While I was sitting there, people gave me two bananas, a mango, and lots of roasted peanuts to eat! People we met often gave us pineapples, oranges, bananas, cucumbers, and other good, fresh food.
When we first arrived in a village, people would gather and we would introduce ourselves and our work. That's what had just happened in Kenimoro village when the picture below was taken. Bonnie spent the afternoon interviewing the people present (as a group). Later than night we ate and slept in the house pictured here. We met many people over the course of the survey. Here are some respected, older men in Foii village... ... and some friendly, curious kids near Hofagayufa village.





3 comments:
I love the glimpse into what you are doing!! Stay well, dear friend. Praying for you!
Thanks for the photos of the survey trip. Have you had any seismic activity lately? Who replaces Dan when he leaves in March? How are you feeling? Do you still have the abdominal pain? Our temps are supposed to be in 50's today--a welcome change. The countryside there looks so lush and beautiful. Seen any unusual birds lately? Thanks again for sharing.
Karen H
Sara - the pictures are beautiful - especially the one of the kids! I'm glad you're doing well!
Post a Comment