Friday, February 27, 2009

The Bread of Life

Hungry?

I was this past Thursday around one in the afternoon.  I hadn't eaten yet because I was attending a weekly ladies’ Bible study over my lunch break.  

When the lesson, based on some of Jesus’ “I am” statements from John, was over, we took turns sharing our thoughts on the lesson.  While my mind was drifting a little (What time will I get back to work?  Do I have time for lunch?), a Papua New Guinean woman started sharing about what Jesus’ words “I am the bread of life” mean to her.

As she quoted Matthew 4:4 (“Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.”), my mind snapped back to attention and I listened carefully to understand what she was saying (in Tok Pisin).  

What she said really made me think.  She shared about how sometimes when she is hungry and doesn’t have anything to eat, she thinks about God’s word.  In her hunger, she thanks God that we are sustained by his word rather than by physical food while she recalls to mind Scripture passages.  

This woman really understands what Jesus said in John 6:35…  "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst".

Thank you Lord, for giving us food and for sometimes letting us go without it, so we can learn to listen to you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Sara that was so good. Sometimes the best teachers in our lives are our brothers and sisters who love the Lord.
Tuesday's blog stuck a cord, too. Many times my God has provided just what I've needed at just the right time to encourage me. He is so good to us.
May God continue to bless you as you serve Him.
Pastor T

Karen_H said...

Mary P. did devotions at the Missionary Group meeting on Tues. night. She read from Col.3:23-24, used in Charles Spurgeon's Evening by Evening book. We continue to be thankful that you have chosen to "serve the Lord Christ" in PNG. The NT reading in my daily devotional Bible today was from Mark 6:1-29, again with Jesus giving instructions to the disciples as they set out(v.7-12). We had some gray skies and rain today, but the benefit is that it will help bring some green to our drab landscape! Thanks for continuing to share with us.
Karen H

Corey Adams said...

Great thoughts Sara. It reminds me of when we were in the village and lady was sharing about how thankful she was that people would come around the world to them and to bring God's Word. This came to my mind when reading this post. That was such a great day in that Bible House.