Friday, January 30, 2009

Back from Survey

This afternoon I got back to Ukarumpa after my first language survey trip! 

The team (Bonnie, Dan, and Juliann) and I spent the last 10 days traveling around the Benabena language area in the Eastern Highlands Province of PNG.  A New Testament in the Benabena language was completed in the early 80s, and the purpose of our trip was to find out how it's being used today. 

In each of the villages we visited, Bonnie did a questionnaire with a group of people from the community to ask about their language and how they use the Benabena New Testament, Juliann transcribed a list of words in the local language, and Dan and I interviewed local pastors or church elders.  At first, I watched Dan do the interviews (conducted in the Tok Pisin language), but by the end I was able to do the pastor interviews by myself!

We spent the night in almost every village we visited.  We'd arrive in the early afternoon and find someone who could give us a place to sleep and some food.  People in every village were friendly and helpful.  It was fun to meet so many new people and see a little of what their lives are like!

I had malaria the week before we left for survey, but I was feeling much better by the time we left.  I did have a head cold for the whole survey, but was surprised by how much energy I had nonetheless!  Thanks for your prayers! 

I'm going to write more about this survey later, but if you have any questions, please write to me!  It'd be helpful to me to know what you're interested in hearing about.  Thanks!

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Sara,
I'm so glad to hear your first survey trip went well! (Even if you did have a cold) Praise the Lord!

I know you will be writing up the findings from your interviews, but I'd like to hear if you have any preliminary insights about why the Benabena people aren't using the Scriptures as much as hoped? (any parallels with why people in the USA don't either?) Did you have church or worship time with the people in the villages?

How far did you travel by vehicle and how much hiking did you do to get to the villages? How many different villages did you go to?

Did you see any neat birds or animals? How about flowers? (I'm especially wondering about orchids!)

Love, Mom

Karen_H said...

Hi, Sara,
You can thank Mary for helping me figure out how to make a commment. I just want you to know how very much I appreciate your blog and your updates about your experiences. After you make a survey trip is there a lot of paper work to do to pass on what you found? I was thinking about Christ's directions to the disciples about going from place to place and seeking lodging, etc. and there you are living it. That is fantastic! Please continue to tell about the people and the natural wonders that are different from home. Do they have groundhogs there? What kinds of things would you most recommend for a care package? Hope this finds you continuing to feel better.
Thankful for you,
Karen

Anonymous said...

Hi Sara! Love what you're writing...and great pics too! I'd enjoy hearing some of the same answers to the questions already asked....especially the outcomes of your survey trips and what actions come next with the organization.

I think you're doing an awesome work! It must be a rare type of person to do what you're doing. Keep going and keep Vision 2025 in sight!

You are loved!

Beth Zehr

Anonymous said...

Hello, Sara
hit this site by accident. It must be intresting to visit other people and other sites of the world? I wished I had the chance to do that too. To your mom's question? I live in the USA. The USA is a very God fearing country. As it was by that principle that the USA was primarly founded on . We do believe in God. And we do read the Bible. Not only the NT but also the Old Testament. Stay safe. Keep away the mosquitos and bugs. Sincerely Angelika