Friday, July 16, 2010

Back from Walagu

After three weeks away from email and internet access, I'm back! I was in a remote village, Walagu, in the Southern Highlands Province of PNG, recording parts of the Onobasulu New Testament.

It was the first time I'd ever visited Walagu, but my friend Joy who I went with has been there quite a few times. Two girls on a Discovery trip also went along to help out and see what village life is like.

Despite village noises (roosters crowing, children crying, and men building houses), we were able to do all the recording we'd planned to do - all of Colossians and James and selected chapters of Matthew. After we'd finished recording, I worked on editing the sound files and was mostly finished with that by the time we left.

On Monday, I'm back to work for three more weeks before I start packing in earnest and leave PNG on August 23. There's a lot to do before then!

[Note: Due to technical difficulties, I've not put any pictures in this post, but you can see pictures of the recording and much, much more at Joy's blog: http://joyellen.wordpress.com. Enjoy (and leave her a comment if you do)!]

1 comment:

Karen_H said...

Hi, Sara,
So glad to hear you all are back and had a pretty successful trip. Can't believe you will soon be back in USA for more training. Thankful for all you girls and for all the sharing of info and pictures. It is amazing how close you make us feel to the people and work half a world away. Kind of like Paul's letters about his work. Have been reading Acts 20.
Butch's class is in the Book of Daniel, this week, Chapter 6, The Lions Den. Pastor preached from Psalm 1 on Sunday.
It is hot(85), humid, and rainy here today. Mary is filling hummingbird feeders. They have been really active and thirsty with the heat! Our second batch of phoebe nestlings died from the heat and their parents were in deep distress.
Sounds like the Kodiak is getting lots of use getting groups in and out of the villages.
Have a great day and praying for all you need to do in the next three weeks.
Thankful for you,
Karen H