Monday, June 21, 2010

I'm a published author!

I'm leaving early tomorrow morning for a three-week village trip. I'll be away from my computer and internet access while I'm gone, so I won't be posting any blog updates. But don't fear - I have an idea of something you can read in the meantime...

My first ever published paper!

Remember the Setaman survey that I went on last July? Well, now, less than a year later, the survey report from the trip has been published on the internet and is available free for your reading pleasure.

If you go here, you'll a description of the report. To download the full article, click on the report title next to view, or here. The report is long and fairly technical, but skimming it will give you a better idea of what my work here for the past two years has been.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The report doesn't have any pictures, so here are a few to help you picture the area.

The trails in the Setaman area were really rough - this was a pretty tame spot!

A Setaman village, where we spent a few nights - it was very muddy and wet

A house we slept in

Some Setaman people - there are only about 300 people who speak this language!

A typical meal for the Setaman people and us on the survey, boiled root veggies

While hiking through the jungle our guides shot this tree kangaroo. They cooked the meat and we ate a little bit - it was a special treat to have some protein (for us and our guides)!


In another Setaman village. I was given this bilum (string bag) as a gift.

No comments: