Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Talking about the weather

Ukarumpa felt more like the middle of a cloud than sunbeam today. My first thought when I woke up was "it's raining in the morning - weird!"

It usually rains some time during the day, but more often than not, I get to enjoy the sun streaming in through my bedroom window as I get ready for work. The rest of the day continued like the morning - rain on and off, mist, and general cloudiness the rest of the time.

It seems like I write about the weather a lot on my blog, and it's not just because I have nothing else to talk about. The weather, especially the rain, affects my life here much more than it did at home.

As I was walking over the muddy, slippery dirt road to work this morning, I remembered when I used to drive to work. I don't go home for lunch or go to the store if it's raining, because all my transportation here is on foot, and I don't particularly love walking in the rain and mud. :-)

Although rain occasionally changes my plans, it is also very important to life here... we count on rain to fill our water tanks - for drinking water, as well as water to wash dishes, clothes and bodies. If there isn't any rain, we run out of water. Rain also helps grow the food that I and my Papua New Guinean friends depend on.

So if it seems like I write about the weather a lot, I guess this explains why. :-)

What's the weather like where you are? And how does it affect your life?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sara,
The weather where we are is HOT! We drove across Kansas yesterday and the temperature was 102! Then when we came out of the restaurant where we had dinner, the thermometer on the dashboard said 118. It was parked on blacktop... we know it wasn't really that hot but it definitely felt quite warm. Laura and I sang John Denver's song "Matthew" as we drove by just south of Colby, Kansas.
with love and prayers,
Mom

Mary said...

Hi Sara! It seems like it has been cloudy and rainy a lot here in PA. When the sun has made an appearance, it has been hot and humid, so it's not good weather for mowing lawn or being very active outside. (that and I'm a "wimp" with heat and humidity...haha! I guess I wouldn't like PNG weather much!) Today it is sunny and comfortable because we had a lot of storms and rain move through yesterday.

In Maine, where my parents are vacationing, it has pretty much rained non-stop, so they have been visiting indoor discount stores, a used book barn, and generally trying to stay dry. :-) They stayed in a motel for their first few nights because of the rain. Then there was a break and they were able to move to the campground and set up their tent like they had planned. They tell me it looks like a "smurf hut" or something with all the blue tarps draped over it. haha!

Anonymous said...

Sara - I'm usually late; days just get away from me and it's not that I'm that busy - just easily distracted!! Had a lovely visit yesterday with Jo Onyon. It's nice to have her closer,though I know she misses her Mom! I keep track of church people on your blog - especially your folks and Howers. I'd love to be either place - Maine - what beauty - and wherever your folks are headed, just because they're traveling. Love that! It's been cold today - hasn't gotten out of the 60s - and it's rained a lot. Farmers and gardeners are having a serious time - hay is going to be expensive for farmers this next winter, I'm afraid. My 2 little tomato plants are thriving on the patio!! Don't slip and slide too much. Stay well. Love in Christ Audrey Costley

Becky said...

Hi Sara!

The weather in Maryland has been unusually rainy this summer! It's definitely been affecting my life in noticable ways because it prevents us from getting out into the field to do research. Just this morning a thunderstorm had us high-tailing it back to the shelter of our trucks! Sorry it's been so long since I've written - miss you and love you! Becky