When I opened my curtains this morning, I saw more traffic than usual - both people leaving and their friends going to wish them a teary farewell at the airstrip. The sound of planes dominated the air as they made countless trips to Port Moresby, where families will catch flights to other corners of the globe.
When I arrived in Ukarumpa on my short term trip in 2005, I was greeted by the sight of sobbing seniors saying goodbye to their closest friends, and not knowing when they'd ever see them again. It's a tough time of year at Ukarumpa, and even though none of my close friends are leaving, I still feel it.
3 comments:
Hi, Sara,
Just want you to know we will be away for a bit, so if you do not get a response, that is why. You will still be in our thoughts and prayers along with the remaining Ukarumpans!(and Wycliffe workers) Saw your uncle and crew landscaping the library in Montrose today and working on Lake Avenue yesterday. They sure do make things look attractive. It must be challenging for them with all the rain we have been having. We find it a challenge just to keep up with one lawn!
Thankful for you and your family heritage of service to others,
Karen H
Psalm 66:1-7
I remember the day after graduation in Ukarumpa when we all arrived from POC 4 years ago. So hard to believe.
Although late, I do so enjoy your comments - and also those by Karen. She's a great communicator! I chuckled at your comment on the 10th about "enjoying our summer!" My daughter, Karla, and I both wonder if the 3 90 deg days back in April were our "summer." We wondered that then - are still wondering! I do not have a veggie garden, but have some flowers which need to be weeded - the flowers look sick, I think because they're too wet - but the weeds flourish! We had such a great day yesterday. Amy Cook and her cousins, "Quiet Heart," presented an hour-long classical/bluegrass/ gospel music concert. Don't need to tell you it was just beautiful! They are so talented. Amy is obviously in pain - but keeps smiling. She did a solo from the piano, "Come to Jesus and live," and her comments about pain and suffering were so appropriate and heart-felt. Had a dessert fellowship after. On Saturday night, Rachel Hobbs hosted the quarterly CoffeeHouse, which was well attended, and fun. Nice to visit with friends, and get to know people better. Missionary Meeting is tomorrow night. Of course, you'll be remembered, as ever. Incidentally, I just signed on to Facebook. Don't have any idea what I'm doing there - but that's fun too, though I'm afraid it could turn into an awful time-waster, and I'm too good at that!!! Audrey Costley Psalm 139
Post a Comment