Thursday, January 1, 2009

Birding in Papua New Guinea

Did you know that December 21st was the winter solstice?

I didn't until I heard about an event my friends from the website Birdstack were running on the solstice.

They encouraged people all over the world to go birding on the solstice and record what they saw. Lists, pictures, essays, and more were sent into Birdstack and are now nicely displayed here.

I enjoy birding, so I spent part of the solstice outside with my binoculars (for the first time since I'd arrived in Ukarumpa) and saw many beautiful and interesting birds.

You can view something I wrote about birds in Papua New Guinea as well as find a link to the list of birds I saw that day on this page.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sara,
I really enjoyed reading your essay on Birdstack and the photo is beautiful, too.
Love,
Mom