Friday, January 9, 2009

Merry Christmas (again)!

Merry Christmas from Ukarumpa! Yes, I know that Christmas has passed, but today seems like Christmas for me all over again.

When I checked my mail today, there was more than the usual bill and occasional card from home… much more! I got 10 Christmas cards, a postcard, and another card!

From my experience here so far, mail can take anywhere from a week to a month and a half to get from the US to me in Ukarumpa. Of the mail I got today, the earliest was sent on December 3rd and the latest on December 20th! (Mail can get bunched up at different points on its long journey, like waiting for a flight that only goes once a week.)

Sitting at my kitchen table tonight, opening card after card, reading the encouraging and newsy notes, and seeing the pictures and other creative things people included, I was encouraged and uplifted. I really enjoyed reading notes from my home church’s 7th and 8th grade girls group, as well as hearing from family and church family.

I want to say a BIG thank you to all those of you who have sent me cards, letters, or emails! I know many of you faithfully pray for me (thank you!) and I always enjoy being reminded of that in your notes.

Thank you!

2 comments:

troutbirder said...

Wow. I'm really impressed with what you doing and where you are. Several years ago (before I retired) I showed my geography students a video about a British journalist trip up the largest river in Papua New Guinea and then a whitewater rafting trip down an unexplored river. I remember thinking what a absolutely cool place to go to. And you did!

A Khudori Soleh said...

salam from Khudori