AN END
Teen camp ended last Friday night. It was a great week filled with activities and fun, but more importantly solid Biblical teaching. In twice-daily chapels, the campers learned about the life of David and about what it means to live by faith. I was encouraged by attending the chapel services and, as many teens testified at the Thursday night campfire, God used His word to change their lives.
I had a good time teaching the teens about missions too. Each afternoon we spent some time looking at different aspects of the science of language (linguistics) and what it actually takes to translate the Bible. I walked the teens through short lessons I had prepared on the topics of phonetics, phonology, grammar, and translation to help them understand what Bible translators actually do. Interacting with the teens during these lessons was fun, and from the feedback I heard, they enjoyed them!
Aside from talking about linguistics, I presented the need for Bible translation around the world and challenged the teens to think about what part they could play in Bible translation. On Thursday, I used an illustration to show how many people doing all different kinds of jobs it takes to translate the Scriptures. Below you can see the 10 volunteers who helped me out by representing (from L to R): a Bible translator, an IT guy, a financial supporter, a prayer supporter, a language surveyor, a pilot, a nurse, a teacher, a carpenter, and a Bibleless person.
After having this weekend to rest from the busyness and excitement of teen week, it's time for...
ANOTHER BEGINNING
Tomorrow morning, the first week of day camp starts. Pray that God will work in the lives of these young ones. Also pray for the counselors and staff to have wisdom and strength.
4 comments:
Sara,
I really enjoyed seeing the pictures from the first week of camp. I'm glad the teens enjoyed your linguistic lessons - it's great you could introduce them to something they may not have thought about before. Who knows, there may be a future Bible translator in the group!
Stay cool this week - if you can, and have fun with the younger campers, too!
Love, Mom
How old are the day campers? I'll definitely be praying for patience, which is what is needed when dealing with kids all week!
Hi Colleen,
Thanks for the comment... the kids this week are ages 5 through 9, with one 11 year old girl. Thanks for your prayers!
Hi Sara:
You really gave a "great" presentation at Kinsley Church, I know because I was there. So thankful that they have become part of your team.
Enjoy reading your blog, it gives me a feel of being with you.
Love, Grandma
Post a Comment