Thanks to those of you who gave suggestions :-)
After I wrote my previous post, I asked for advice on the local newsgroups to see what I could learn from the collective wisdom of Ukarumpa-ites. I got some helpful replies for people with much more cultural experience than I; the theme seemed to be: find out where she got the wood from. So I did.
When I took the gardener some coffee and a snack, she said that the homeowners told her she could have the wood. So this means: she didn't do anything wrong in taking the wood, although she still exercised poor judgment by leaving the wood by the road for so long and not telling me what she was doing. During our chat, she volunteered that it was her fault that the wood was taken - apologizing and taking responsibility. We were "wanbel" (Tok Pisin for "in agreement," literally "of one heart") and all was well.
I thought things were all set, but wait! Today the housekeeper came and asked me where the wood went. She said that the homeowners told her and the gardener that they could split the wood, so that she was wrong in taking it.
I'm more confused than ever, and not sure who is "telling the truth". Truth is a tricky subject in PNG culture; just like people everywhere, people often tell the parts of the truth that are convenient for them. Do you see how the gardener and housekeeper could both be telling what they consider to be the truth? (The homeowners did tell the gardener she could have (part of) the wood, when they told her and the housekeeper that they could split it.)
So you see, I need your prayers for wisdom in dealing with sticky cross-cultural situations like this! Thanks :-)
Thursday, January 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hi, Sara,
Doesn't this dilemma seem a bit like Solomon's when both ladies claimed the same baby? It is interesting how enmeshed you become in local affairs without even trying! Good for you for seeking the wisdom of others with more experience in these matters. It makes me appreciate how "blest be the tie that binds our hearts in Christian love." We all come to situations that we cannot handle alone. How good to know God will never leave us nor forsake us, and also, uses other Christians to intercede for us in prayer. Sam Thomas did an interview at a TV station in Elmira about the loss of Megan to a drunk driver. He also told about the need for the support of others in dealing with that tragedy. We can pray that those in need of hope will be blessed and impacted by his willingness to reach out and share his faith and story. We pray for you also as you and Juliann finish your survey report, deal with the culture, and bless others by your sharing of that experience.
Have a good and Godly day,
Karen H
That reminds me of when I was cleaning for one of my clients. We were getting ready for a big party and the laundry was the last room and oh what a mess. The lady doing flowers had been in there earlier and I saw her with all these little white things. So when I was cleaning off the dryer and saw all these little white things I threw them away. The next week the lady was looking for the white shirt stays for collars...
Post a Comment