As I lay in bed, sleeping in after supervising a bunch of teenagers on New Year's Eve, I heard the soft knock first and then the dog start barking to let me know I had company. I dragged myself upstairs to find one of my PNG friends on my porch. She came by to charge her and her brother's cell phones and because she wanted me to teach her how to make jello.
We plugged the first phone in and chatted for a few minutes, before making the jello and taking down the (artificial) Christmas tree. Then, in typical PNG fashion, we waited: waited for the first phone to charge, then the second (although after two hours she realized it wasn't plugged in)... waited for the jello to set. When I ran out of things to talk about, I put a movie on as we continued to wait.
The start of another year in PNG...
Happy New Year!
*When I woke up on the morning of January 1, 2010 - not the night before :-)
Thursday, December 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hi, Sara,
I see you are busy being all things to all people as usual. What a beautiful morning pictured there! Our ground is white. Mary did a lot of shoveling yesterday so her Dad could get on the road to work. John worked a long shift also, then went to a friend's house to play video games.
We had very busy birdfeeders. The woodpeckers have pecked away most of the suet I hung out in net bags. We had an old apple tree with about 8 cardinals in it at once. They look so pretty against the white snow. The dog loves to go out in the snow, then come in and hunker down by the wood stove like me. We lit some luminarias we made of empty plastic jugs. They lasted most of the evening. I have been watching for the tournament of roses parade, then Rich reminded me it is probably still dark in California at this hour:)
Praying for a blessed and happy new year for you in PNG and that God continues to use you in big and small ways for His glory.
Thankful for you,
Karen H
Matthew 1 My devotional says "Jesus Christ is a 'good-bye'(which is short for 'God be with you')to us, so we can greet each day with the words,'Hello, Lord!'
Hi, Sara;
What a wonderful way to start your New Year! I just can't imangine you ran out of things to say.
Evelyn & I have our first day of the Holidays to ourselves so the day is moving slow. It's in the plans to take down the tree, put the gifts away, watch the Penn State football game, and make some soup as well as typing the pp for the Sunday messages.
May your year be a daily fulfilment of Numbers 6:24-26
with Christian Love,
Pastor & Mrs Thomas
Post a Comment