So, you know I recently helped to survey four languages on New Britain Island... but do you know what I actually did during the three weeks?
The team and I spent much of time talking to people and waiting for things to happen, but the main objective of our work was doing sociolinguistic research (i.e. to find out about the culture and language of each place we visited).
To do this research, we get a group of people together and ask them questions. On this survey, I did these kind of interviews with groups about their contact with other groups - where and how much do they travel, do people from other areas marry into their village, or people from their village marry to other areas, etc. (I also interviewed church leaders in each village - look for more about this in future posts.)
People are usually very interested in meeting us and talking to us, so it's usually not hard to get a big group of people together (in the early morning). If you're trying to get a group of people together later in the day, it can be hard, because everyone has canoed from the island to work in their gardens on the mainland!
Often when we're talking with groups of people, we draw a huge crowd. Can you see Juliann (my teammate) in this picture? She's in the middle of the group - write down a phonetic wordlist in the Apalik language. (If you look closely, you can see a white arm in the middle of the picture.)
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Glad that you are home safe and sound. We were praying and glad the trip went well. Have really enjoyed your mum's posts too! Its so great that she has the 'vision' and the understanding about the work that you are doing and is so understanding and supportive!
looking forward to seeing you in March. Noel and Catharine
Hi, Sara,
Thanks for the pictures and information about the type of work you did. It looks like a beautiful setting. How big were the boats they used to transport you, like outriggers or fishing vessels or something else? It was good to have those specific prayer requests to follow your group. God is good to answer those prayers!
Have a great day,
Karen H
Pastor James preached from Philippians 1:12-27 on Sunday covering Paul's Passion(Jesus), Paul's Purpose(to live is Christ, to die is gain) and Paul's Plea(strive together in conduct worthy of the Gospel).
Hi Sara,
I enjoyed the photos... nice skirt! ;-) I do see Juliann's arm. That's quite an audience she had for doing a word list. I'm looking forward to seeing more photos from the trip and I'm thankful that God really blessed all four of you with good health and safely during your trip. Love, Mom
Post a Comment