Monday, September 1, 2008

First Days of POC

Written on 29 August 2008

Pacific Orientation Course (POC) is going really well so far! There are
quite a few people attending – about 25 adults and 30 children. Every morning at 6 am some of us go for a 2 km walk to see the beautiful sunrise over the ocean. After breakfast at 7 am, we have some lectures until tea time at 10 am. Testimony time and more lectures fill in the time before lunch.

After lunch everyone observes an hour of “rest time.” It’s a good time to take a nap or do some reading. Later we have either another lecture or some kind of physical activity. This afternoon we went swimming at Nagada Harbour, only a few miles from POC. I challenged myself to swim eight 200-meter laps, and I did! That’s a whole mile!

Tomorrow morning I’ll start my Tok Pisin* classes in a small group with a native speaker. I’m really looking forward to jumping right into language learning using these unconventional methods.

I’ll only be able to email home once a week, and since I’m unable to access the web, I’m emailing my mom these blog entries to post for me. So unfortunately, I’ll only be able to update my blog weekly, and won’t be able to post any pictures until December. I’m sorry about that!

Thank you so much for your continued thoughts and prayers!

*Tok Pisin is the most widely spoken language in Papua New Guinea

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hey Sara! I just got a chance to catch up on your blog. I was really glad to see that you had posted pictures from your commissioning service. I wanted to come to that very much. That rainbow was incredible!! I hope that training continues to go well...looking forward to hearing more updates. Praying for you!
-Sarah Dingus

Unknown said...

Sara, you will do really well. And I'm sure you will be an encouragement and help to your fellow campers.

I love the fact that you've done the mile already! Yeah Sara!
David Snyder