Monday, September 15, 2008

POC Continues...

Written September 14, 2008

Life is very busy here at Pacific Orientation Course (POC)! I'm continuing to learn Tok Pisin, study the culture, and get more fit through hiking and swimming. Along with the usual activities, I've started some new things now in my third week...

Last Thursday night I met my 'wasfamili' (from English 'watch family,' a surrogate family for me while I'm here at POC) when they came to POC for a Papua New Guinean style dinner. My 'waspapa' and 'wasmama' are Ninto and Matah, who have six children and live nearby. This Thursday night I'm going to their house for dinner, and I look forward to getting to know them better and improving my Tok Pisin too.

This past weekend my partner Julie and I used our 'haus kuk' for cooking and eating all of our meals. We did our prep outside, cooked over an open fire, and washed our dishes outside in basins. I'm happy to report we didn't burn anything, but enjoyed stir-fry over rice one night and macaroni and cheese with local greens the next night!

For church this morning I visited a congregation in the nearby town of Madang. A few hundred people were present for the over two-hour church service. We sang songs in Tok Pisin and English and the message was in mixed Tok Pisin and English, so I understand some of it.

Papua New Guinea's Independence Day is this week - they've been an independent nation for 33 years! There are lots of festivities planned in this area. Nearby a field has become the home to a huge volleyball tournament and many songs and dramas are planned for Independence Day.

I'm enjoying POC, but there have already been some difficult times. It's a blessing to know that many people are praying for me. Please continue to pray for my spiritual life, physical health, and relationships with co-workers. Thanks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Sara,
it is great to see that you are doing so well. That must be exciting to experience all these new things.
Thanks for keeping us informed.
Our time in Abingdon is coming to an end. We have just five more weeks before we are going back. That's sad and exciting too.
Have a good day. God bless you
Silke