Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Compensation

I spent most of last week being sick and then getting better, but I’m back now and I want to write some about a cultural topic I’ve been thinking a bit about lately: compensation.

Demands for and payment of compensation are big parts of PNG culture. Asking for compensation is pretty similar to the lawsuits we're too familiar with in the US, except that the courts do not have to be involved. People demand compensation for all kinds of things. A search for "compensation" on the website of one of PNG's national newspapers reveals 366 articles, many of which talk about compensation claims hindering development, shutting down services or causing warfare.

I read a story in the newspaper last week that seems like a typical example of compensation claims for land. A big high school has been shut down indefinitely because landowners are threatening to shut down the pump that supplies water to the school if the school does not pay 500,000 kina ($190,000). According to the article, the pump is located on school land, but people are still demanding payment for the use of the water. (This happens every few years with one of our water sources at Ukarumpa too.)

People also demand compensation for help they give to other people. Remember the guy I asked for prayer about awhile ago, who was hurt in motorcycle accident? The people who helped transport him from the accident scene to the clinic (maybe a mile?) are now demanding compensation from his family. There was a big car accident here last year, and compensation claims came out of that too.

People demand compensation for people who were killed or injured; property damaged; help they give others; roads, pipelines or water sources built on their traditional land, even if the land now legally belongs (or is leased) to someone else; etc.

Compensation is part of PNG culture that helps restore peace between the groups in conflict, but when the compensation claims aren't met, violence often results. The idea of always asking for compensation is one aspect of PNG culture is so far from my own cultural ideas that I don't know if I’ll ever get it!

1 comment:

Karen_H said...

Hi, Sara,
Glad to hear you are feeling better. Interesting insight on the culture of compensation. Having just finished reading the book of Leviticus, it seems similar to OT law of a sacrifice to atone for everything, except that was to a holy, redeemer God, not to other people. We are between snowstorms--the one due on Thurs/Fri is referred to as a "snowado" Weather service says it will be like a hurricane only with snow--should be interesting!
Hope your upcoming vacation is a great time of rest and refreshment. Praying for you,
Karen H