Sunday, October 4, 2009

What's Mama doing? - by Nancy

On our last morning in the village, I noticed Mama Agnes doing something with a banana leaf. I wondered what she was doing and I took her photo. What do YOU think she was doing? Post your guesses in the comments and on Tuesday I'll post the follow-up photo to show you.

7 comments:

Laura Nichols said...

Does she have something under the leaf that she's going to cook? :)

(Not jellyfish, I hope!)

Love,
Laura

Melissa said...

Hi Mrs. Van Cott! is she drying the leaf out to use it somehow for building purposes - as in for a roof or something? :) Looking forward to finding out the mystery!

Unknown said...

will she be wrapping up food in it or using it to serve or keep food warm? The biggest thing throwing me off is that she is sticking a green leaf in the fire and not using a brown, dried up leaf. hmmm

Unknown said...

Big leafs like that are usually covered in a waxy coating. Perhaps she's trying to harvest wax or some other substance from the leaf?

Karen_H said...

I tend to agree with some use for food storage or cooking, though I also read they can be used for umbrellas and the fiber for threads or papermaking, and banana leaf bundles were once used like currency. Can't wait to hear the real answer.
Karen H

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing she's cooking something, but that seems a little predictable for all of the suspense.

Anonymous said...

Making the leaf supple so she can wrap some food ie rice, in sections of it without it 'tearing'?