Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Bilums and babies - by Nancy

Bilums (pronounced "BEE-lum") are Papua New Guinean "string bags". They are everywhere in PNG and are used by men, women, and children. If you've been following this blog, you've already seen them in some of the photos. They have many uses... from carrying produce home from the garden or to market, to being a hanging cradle for a sleeping baby.

In the photo below, you can see several bilums being used at the market at Mus village. Notice they are carried on the forehead or over the shoulder.

Here is a photo at the market in Madang showing many colorful bilums for sale.

(Thanks to Jacob for this photo.)

Next are a few close-up photos of bilums that were given to me on my visit to Sara.

This one was made by Rose and given to me for Laura. It's a "yangpela meri" bilum (f
or a young lady). It's a little smaller size than most, and is made out of yarn.And this one was made by Maggie.


This one is made of natural materials.


Now to the "fun" part - Babies and bilums!

If you look closely, you can see the baby's feet in the bilum this lady is carrying at the market.

I like the silhouette of the baby in this bilum, while her Mama stands nearby.


Here is baby Maureen taking a nap at our house in the village.


And a close up photo...


Ireme is only 10 or 11 years old but she is a good babysitter... carrying this baby in the bilum on her forehead!
Here is baby Ryan sleeping in his bilum on a hook in Sara's basement (the only place there was a strong enough hook!)


And I thought you might like to see a picture of him after he woke up. As you can tell by his expression, he was not too sure of who I was and what I was doing with my camera!







4 comments:

Erin said...

I have been wondering how to pronounce "bilum." :) thanks for all the lovely updates and stories!

Laura Nichols said...

I love the last picture of baby Ryan!

It was so much fun seeing all your wonderful pictures this weekend. It gives me a much better view of what PNG is like! I had lots of fun. :)

Keep the great blog posts coming...we are reading, out here in "the void!" ;)

Lots of love,
Laura

Unknown said...

That has to be the ultimate hammock (and thus ultimately comfortable)!

aud said...

Hi Sara, I loved yours and your Mom's picture's. Sorry I am so bad about writing. I love you and pray for you. Audrey