Thursday, December 11, 2008

Me in Village Living: Photos



This water tap which provides clean water to the village was less than a minute's walk from my house. I went there multiple times each day, to fill basins with water for washing my infected sandfly bites, wash dishes, or wash clothes, as I'm doing in this picture.





While in the village, one of my "uncles" taught me how to make a basket out of coconut leaves. I like to make things with my hands, so it was a fun experience for me.



One Sunday afternoon, I was sitting down and visiting with one of my village grandmothers when she pulled a bright, beautiful bird from her bilum (string bag)! A local boy stunned the bird (a Common Paradise Kingfisher) with a slingshot and captured it the previous day. What a privilege to see this amazing bird!

1 comment:

Amberlynne said...

This reminds me of Jungle Camp! I'm glad you're enjoying your time in PNG. I will hopefully get your package sent out next week!