Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Life in Ukarumpa

I’ve been living in Ukarumpa for a week now, so I thought I’d write a little about my life here.

HOME

From now through July, I’ll be living alone in a small, but sufficient house. (In July, the homeowner comes back from her furlough, so I’ll be moving somewhere else.) The house has everything I need: a small kitchen, living/dining area, one bedroom, a small laundry, bathroom, and an entry way with a desk. After the communal life at POC, I’m enjoying having some time and space to myself, but also being able to be a part of the great community around me.

COMMUNITY

Ukarumpa is a close-knit Christian community and I’ve already met new people who are interested in who I am and what I’ll be doing here. In the week I’ve been here, I attended the high school’s chorus and band concert, played ultimate frisbee, watched a Christmas movie, and practiced with a Christmas choir. It’s great to have so many opportunities to met and interact with new friends!

WORK

I’ve spent the last few days in orientation, learning my way around and how everything works, so I haven’t started my work in survey yet. I have had a chance to visit the survey office and meet my new colleagues Bonnie and Dan. I’m excited to start in the office later this week!

A PRACTICAL NOTE

During my orientation, I found out something that is relevant to you, as well as to me. It’s illegal for me to receive any kind of food items in the mail. If you ever send a package or card, please don’t include anything edible as this could create problems for me. Thanks!

No comments: