No gut yu pundaun is a phrase I heard many times this past week. This Tok Pisin phrase literally means “It wouldn’t be good if you fell down,” but “Be careful!” is a better translation.
This warning was issued to our group many times during an all-day hike on Wednesday over steep and slippery trails. Later in the week, while I was with my wasfamili, I was warned to be careful each time I went out to use the liklik haus (outhouse) and while we looked around their steep vegetable garden.
This week marks a turning point in Pacific Orientation Course (POC). We said goodbye to our Tok Pisin teachers and began to prepare for the three-day hike and village living, the last components of the course.
On Monday we discussed all of the remaining hikes and our five-week village living. We learned how to dehydrate food to use in village living, and Julie and I dehydrated some onions, carrots, and bananas.
Tuesday we had class in the morning and then went to Nagada Bay for our endurance swimming time. I was pleased that I managed to swim almost a mile and a half!
We spent most of Wednesday hiking to and from Kamba, a village on the next major ridge. In three hours, our whole group had hiked down 1,000 feet and back up the 1,000 feet elevation change on the other side. We ate lunch at Kamba and then split into three groups to hike back. I joined the fast group and we made it back to POC in under two hours!
On Thursday night, I went to visit my wasfamili as usual, but spent the night in their home. I brought my own mosquito net and sheet to sleep on, and they provided a clear spot on their bamboo floor.
In the morning on Friday, my wasmama started to teach me how to make a bilum (traditional string bag). We also visited one of their vegetable gardens and saw the places were they bathe, wash their dishes, and collect their drinking water. Our afternoon was fairly relaxed at POC as we rested after such a busy week!
Thanks for your prayers!
PRAYER REQUEST UPDATE
Thanks for praying for my health and the health of the others here at POC! Everyone seems to be on the mend, but many still need prayers as they are continuing to gain strength.
God heard your prayers on my behalf… out of 50 adults and children, only 4 have not been affected by this illness, and I am one of them! Praise the Lord!
Monday, October 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Sara,
I just wanted to let you know Lenora and I are praying for you and we're so glad to hear that you're doing well. Great job on doing that hike in 2 hours!
David
Post a Comment